Council political agreement on Baltic Sea catch limits for the year 2024
The Agriculture and Fisheries Council reached today a political agreement on Baltic Sea catch limits for the year 2024.
It sets the following:
- Bycatch TACs for Western herring, and the 2 cod stocks.
- Reductions in TAC for herring in the Gulf of Bothnia, Central herring, Riga herring, main basin salmon and sprat
- Roll-over of the TAC for plaice
- Increase in TAC for salmon in the Gulf of Finland
In addition, the Council also agreed on specific measures, including:
- limiting the recreational fishing of salmon to no more than one specimen of adipose fin-clipped salmon retained per fisher per day. After catching the first specimen, recreational fishers will have to stop fishing salmon for the remainder of the day;
- prohibiting the recreational fishing of cod in subdivisions 22-26
BSAC recommendations for the fishery in the Baltic Sea in 2024_with COUNCIL DECISIONS
Date Posted: October 24, 2023